May 9, 2015

5 Tips For Beating a Cold

Guess who has a cold! It's me! But don't worry, I've become an expert at getting over it as fast as you can.

 I kind of like being sick sometimes, because beside all the ickiness, you get a chance to catch up with yourself. But anyway, that's not the point. Here are some tips (in no order)  I have found really helpful:


  1. STEAM!If your head is clogged, and you need to keep moving with your life, start a really hot shower. Don't get into it, just sit in the hot room and let your nose run out. It's like your own sauna! If you don't want to waste water, then you can put some steamy water into a bowl, then lower your face over it and put a towel over both your head and the bowl so that the steam can't get out. Please make sure you can still breathe :) This is good especially if you are a singer and need to get over this fast!
  2. HYDRATE! I actually Googled why fluids are good for the cold, and I found an article that said liquids don't necessarily beat infection, but it is still important to be properly hydrated. Back in January when I was travelling I got a bad cold, so my grandma took me to Starbucks and got a jasmine-mint tea that had half lemonade and half water. I drank those like they were made of gold!
  3. AVOID CAFFEINE! I don't know why, but multiple people and internet resources have told me never to drink caffeine when you are sick. That includes coffee (go decaf!), some teas, sodas and too much chocolate. It sucks being hyped up on goofballs and not allowed out of the house, anyway. 
  4. CLEAN! You don't want to spread it do you? Take an anti-bacterial wipe and go over doorknobs, light switches, phones, keyboards, steering wheels, anything you touch a lot. It mentally makes at least me feel better, that I'm not living in a complete germ-fest. 
  5. RELAX! If I don't have a fever, normally my parents still make me go to school, but if it's really bad, you need to rest! Take some ibuprofen or Tylenol if you are in pain and lay down. Watch a movie or read a book associated with good memories, and be happy. it's a good way to distract yourself, but also, you don't want to be sick AND depressed, because that could hurt your health even more. 
Get well soon!
Please pray for the cast of Aladdin, it's 2 weeks until opening night and everyone is getting sick :( 


Stay happy and healthy everyone! 

No comments: