May 17, 2015

How to Be More Confident

As you may know, I am entering freshman year of high school next year. And, due to the school system, we have so many high schools that if you don't go to the one by your house, you won't know anybody, and I have made that decision.

So I have started looking at, you know, good ways to start off high school, that kind of thing, and I came across a TED Talk about confidence that I really enjoyed

If you don't have time to watch a lady talk about the science of being empowered for 18 minutes (look it up), here is a quick and concise version!

Basically, she said fake it till you make it! Definitely be yourself, but by acting confident, you will become more confident and even the stress hormones in your body will go down. If you literally act powerful, like spreading out, making yourself bigger. In the wild, leader or "alpha" animals stand taller as a way to intimidate people. That works for humans too!

It goes both ways. Sitting with your arms and legs crossed and your head down certainly doesn't help. Studies have shown when you sit like that the stress hormone levels rise.
 Start making it a habit. Stand taller. Uncross your your arms, it makes you seem more open. Smile. You'll seem more open and happy about what you are doing and people are more likely to talk to you.

No comments: