com·pli·ment
noun
ˈkämpləmənt/
- 1.a polite expression of praise or admiration."she paid me an enormous compliment"
synonyms: flattering remark, tribute, accolade, commendation, bouquet, pat on the back; More
verb
ˈkämpləˌment/
- 1.politely congratulate or praise (someone) for something."he complimented Erica on her appearance"
Personally I get embarrassed when someone compliments me and I don't know what to say. I think a lot of kids these days have that problem too, and it all comes down to confidence. I have previously written a post called How to Be More Confident and you should probably read that too, if you are really serious about this.
| Via happymonsters.tumbr.com |
It really is pretty simple. You just have to have the courage/confidence to go through with these three "easy steps."
- SMILE
- SAY THANK YOU
- SINCERELY RETURN THE COMPLIMENT
Ok, the last one is really the hardest. But with a little practice, you'll be a pro!
Here is my guide of how to return a compliment: If they compliment your appearance, make a nice comment about theirs! If they say something about your personality, say something about theirs! If they praise your actions, praise theirs right back!
But here is the important part. WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN SOMEONE COMMENDS YOU FOR SOMETHING.
Do not, I repeat, do not, deflect praise. It's not modest, it's a teensy bit rude, kind of like rejecting the person that gave it to you. For example, someone says to you "Wow, your writing piece was very impressive"
Yes: Thank you so much! I actually just finished reading your last post and it was amazing, especially the part blah blah blah
No: Oh, no it was garbage, I suck at writing
A lot of people these days try to play down their work to be modest, but it makes the rest of us feel terrible. I know when I tell someone they did a good job, and they say they didn't even care about it, I feel like a talent-less wreck! Do you know what I mean? I tried really hard and they didn't, but they still did better!
This is especially a problem on social medias, because sometimes people post selfies to get praise, and then act like they are super ugly or something. It makes me a little upset! I just want to shake them by their shoulders and yell at them "YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND!!!!"
To fix my anger, I have decided to challenge myself by complimenting people way more than normal. Since I've been watching Parks and Recreation a lot, I have been catching on to Leslie Knope complimenting.
If you want to do my challenge too, next time someone says something nice to you, be sincerely nice back to them. It shouldn't be that hard. You can do it!
Love, Bree♥
p.s. you are a wonderful tropical fish and thank you for looking at my blog


No comments:
Post a Comment