I recently finished this book, Matched, by Allie Condle. And going into it, I didn't really think I would like it because all the review blurbs on the back said
"Ah yes, a glorious love triangle!"At that point I was pretty over the whole love triangle thing from the Hunger Games, and most Young Adult Fiction so I had pretty high expectations for it.
I have to say, it was a captivating read about a Society who controls how long you live, where you live, who you love and what you do. All through statistics and timing. Unfortunately, in the seventh grade I had to read and analyze 1984 by George Orwell. I got the best score in the class but I did not like the ending. Agh, seventh grade me hated reading it so much. My hatred caused it to be engraved in my mind forever, so now I compare every dystopian novel I have ever read with it. So my conclusion is that this is Orwell's Society in the early years. Before Big Brother was created. I haven't read the rest of the series yet though, so I can't be quite sure.
Onto the actual story! To summarize it without any spoilers, each person gets Matched at the age of 17 unless they choose to be a Single.The Society uses statistics of each person to find the best match with other eligible 17 year olds. The main character, Cassia, got matched to her best friend Xander. After the ceremony, each person gets a little note card describing their match with a picture of them. Xander and Cassia are very happy, an go on their first official dates and things but Cassia is preoccupied. A few days after the ceremony, she say another boy's picture where Xander's was. It just flashed and went dark. She knew that boy too, his name was Ky. So she starts getting to know Ky and eventually has to choose between a perfect Society match or a passionate, real relationship with Ky.
I wouldn't have liked it if the book had ended a different way, and I'm trying not to give any spoilers but it was a beautiful plot twist.
You won't see me fangirling away and mobbing up at the movie theater lines if this ever becomes a movie, but I liked it. I'm excited to read the next book.
Qotd: Have you read any dystopian novels?
Aotd: Yes!!!! More specifically, 1984, Matched, Hunger Games, Divergent. A lot of books these days are.
Please answer the QotD! Thanks for reading!

No comments:
Post a Comment